Philippine troops kill 6 communist rebels
Manila: The Philippine military says at least six communist guerrillas and one government militiaman have been killed in the latest clash in which the rebels have suffered losses.
Major Leo Bongosia of the Army`s 4th Infantry Division says about 40 New People`s Army guerrillas attacked a militia outpost in southern Agusan del Sur province`s Sibagat township early Friday but the militiamen fought back.
Bongosia says two military helicopter gunships provided fire support to Army reinforcements. One soldier also was wounded.
It was the biggest battle loss for the rebels after a senior regional Communist Party leader and seven other guerrillas were killed in an Army attack two weeks earlier in Sorsogon province southeast of Manila.
The 44-year-old insurgency is one of Asia`s longest-running. Talks to end it have collapsed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP comes out in defence of Amitabh's association with second anniversary programme
- Army troops, insurgents exchange gunfire along Manipur-Myanmar border
- Telangana TS EAMCET Results 2016: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) results to be declared today on May 26 (Thursday) on www.tseamcet.in at 11 AM
- World leaders kick off G7 talks with economy, terrorism and refugees in focus
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims