Philippine troops kill 6 communist rebels
Manila: The Philippine military says at least six communist guerrillas and one government militiaman have been killed in the latest clash in which the rebels have suffered losses.
Major Leo Bongosia of the Army`s 4th Infantry Division says about 40 New People`s Army guerrillas attacked a militia outpost in southern Agusan del Sur province`s Sibagat township early Friday but the militiamen fought back.
Bongosia says two military helicopter gunships provided fire support to Army reinforcements. One soldier also was wounded.
It was the biggest battle loss for the rebels after a senior regional Communist Party leader and seven other guerrillas were killed in an Army attack two weeks earlier in Sorsogon province southeast of Manila.
The 44-year-old insurgency is one of Asia`s longest-running. Talks to end it have collapsed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics