Philippine troops kill wanted Abu Sayyaf militant
Manila: Philippine troops clashed with Abu Sayyaf gunmen in a southern coastal village on Sunday and killed a long-wanted militant who helped in the 2001 kidnapping of three American and 17 Filipino tourists and the takeover of a hospital, the military said.
Abdukarim Sali was killed before dawn in a clash with troops and police in Lower Mangas village on Basilan island`s Lantawan township — a stronghold of the al Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf, regional military commander Lt Gen Benjamin Dolorfino said.
The other militants fled, leaving Sali`s body, an M16 rifle and grenade launcher, ammunition and cell phones behind.
The government offered a USD 7,700 bounty for the capture or death of Sali, who has been accused of helping kidnap three Americans and 17 mostly Chinese Filipino tourists in May 2001 from the Dos Palmas resort in western Palawan province.
Hunted by hundreds of troops, the militants brought their captives by speedboat to Basilan, where they took over a hospital in Lamitan town to steal medicine and snatch a hospital staff and two nurses.
American missionary Gracia Burnham survived the jungle captivity, but husband Martin and one of the Filipino nurses were killed in an Army commando rescue in 2002. The third American, Guillermo Sobero, was beheaded by the militants. The other hostages were freed separately, reportedly after ransom payments.
The kidnappings and violence prompted Washington to deploy hundreds of troops to southern Mindanao region, where they have been training Philippine troops and sharing intelligence. US military personnel are not allowed to engage in combat in the Philippines.
Although the government claims to have crippled Abu Sayyaf after years of offensives, the group remains a major security threat. It held three Red Cross workers and several other hostages last year, attacked troops and blew up bridges. A roadside bomb in September killed two US soldiers.
The militants, who have received al Qaeda training and funds in the past, have remained without a central leader following the killings of its top commanders, the military says.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof