Philippine typhoon floods rice fields, kills 13
Manila: A typhoon that flooded villages and farms in the Philippines` major rice-growing region on Saturday has killed at least 13 people, officials said.
Power outages affected Aurora province, where Typhoon Nari made landfall late yesterday, and five nearby provinces due to downed pylons and emergency shutdowns that were intended to prevent accidents.
Nari slammed into the coast with 150 kilometer (94 mile) per hour winds and gusts of up to 185 kph (116 mph).
Weather forecaster Meno Mendoza said Nari weakened after hitting the mountains in Aurora then quickly blew across the rice-growing central plains of Luzon.
More than 2,500 people were evacuated from coastal villages before the typhoon struck, said provincial disaster officer Amado Elson Egargue.
Civil defense Major Rey Balido said the 12 fatalities in four provinces included a man who was electrocuted, a police officer who was buried in a landslide while waiting for deployment to a rescue mission in Pampanga province, four people who drowned in floodwaters and five who were hit by falling trees.
The body of a fisherman was recovered, but three others remain missing, he said.
Bulacan provincial Gov. Wilhelmino M Sy-Alvarado said a 70-year-old man died of a heart attack when the roof of his house was blown away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- This is how CPI-M countered BJP’s Janmashtami procession in Kerala
- Six killed, 25 injured in bus-truck collusion in China
- Rajnath Singh assures alternative to pellet guns in Kashmir; Mufti says stone-pelting, attacking security camps won't bring peace
- Rs 5 lakh compensation to family of woman devoured by dogs in Kerala
- At least 3 killed in suicide attack in Afghanistan's Balkh province