Philippines arrests alleged al Qaeda-linked bomber
Manila: Officials say police have arrested a suspected al Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf bomber involved in the 2002 killing of an American Green Beret and a recent hotel blast that killed three people.
Paquito Ochoa, who heads the government`s Anti-terrorism Council, says police and military intelligence officers captured Hussein Ahaddin late Tuesday in his hide-out near the southern city of Zamboanga.
Police said Wednesday that Ahaddin belonged to an urban-based squad of the Abu Sayyaf in Zamboanga city. He is believed to be involved in six deadly bombings, including in Monday`s blast that killed three people and wounded 27 others at a budget hotel in the city.
The Abu Sayyaf has been weakened by years of US-backed Philippine offensives but remains a threat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 50 seats, BJP in 32; big prestige battle for both parties
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai, Thane; BJP leading in Pune, Nagpur, Solapur, Akola