Philippines arrests alleged al Qaeda-linked bomber
Manila: Officials say police have arrested a suspected al Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf bomber involved in the 2002 killing of an American Green Beret and a recent hotel blast that killed three people.
Paquito Ochoa, who heads the government`s Anti-terrorism Council, says police and military intelligence officers captured Hussein Ahaddin late Tuesday in his hide-out near the southern city of Zamboanga.
Police said Wednesday that Ahaddin belonged to an urban-based squad of the Abu Sayyaf in Zamboanga city. He is believed to be involved in six deadly bombings, including in Monday`s blast that killed three people and wounded 27 others at a budget hotel in the city.
The Abu Sayyaf has been weakened by years of US-backed Philippine offensives but remains a threat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj