Philippines asks neighbours to join case vs China
Manila: The Philippines is calling on Malaysia, Vietnam and other neighbours to join its legal challenge to China`s massive territorial claim in the South China Sea.
Solicitor-General Francis Jardeleza said today Malaysia, Vietnam and two other governments could either join the complaint filed by the Philippines last year before an international tribunal or lodge their own cases against China.
Jardeleza says smaller countries can only have a chance to peacefully defend their territories against the Asian superpower in a legal arena.
China, Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam have overlapping claims across the busy South China Sea.
The disputes have periodically erupted into dangerous confrontations, sparking tensions and straining ties.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai