Philippines beefs security after rebels raid mines
Manila: Philippine President Benigno Aquino III has ordered security for mining companies beefed up after a big raid by communist rebels shut down operations of the country`s largest nickel producer and sent its stock plummeting.
Following the president`s instructions, Interior Secretary Jesse Robredo said Tuesday that troops and government-armed civilian militiamen will be sent to improve security for mining operators in remote southern areas.
Communist guerrillas burned down scores of heavy equipment, disarmed guards and briefly held company staff at the three mines in Surigao del Norte province Monday.
Shares of Nickel Asia Corp. dropped by 13 percent in early trading Tuesday after the mine operator suspended activities because of the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof