Philippines mulls Golan peacekeeper pullout after abductions
Manila: The Philippines may withdraw from a United Nations peacekeeping force in the Golan Heights following the abduction of four Filipino troops near the Syrian border.
Terming the abductions "a violation of international laws", Foreign Secretary Albert de Rosario said he would recommend to President Benigno Aquino for withdrawal of the over 300 Filipinos peacekeepers in the region.
Del Rosario said that Philippines was cooperating with the international partners "for early and safe return" of the abductees.
A total of 843 Filipinos are serving as peacekeepers at various locations at present, he said.
The government has already repatriated 4,000 Filipinos from strife-torn Syria and is working to bring to safety other undocumented national working there, he said.
Syrian rebels seized the four Filipino peacekeepers at an observation post in the Golan Heights on Tuesday, only two months after 21 Filipino soldiers were abducted by the same group for four days.
The move comes as countries which contribute troops to the UN Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) have expressed renewed concern about security in the zone between Israel and war-stricken Syria.
UNDOF, monitoring a ceasefire between Israel and Syria since 1974, has about 1,000 peacekeepers and civilian staff from Austria, India, Morocco, Moldova and the Philippines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- LIVE CRICKET SCORE: ODI Tri-series final — West Indies vs Australia
- Haryana to be open-defecation free by December 2017: Khattar
- Earth's ancient magnetic field had more than two poles!
- VIDEOS: MS Dhoni's wife Sakshi shares her adorable moments with daughter Ziva
- 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed announces 'jihad to free Pakistani rivers from India'