Philippines says China`s air defense zone a threat
Manila(Philippines): The Philippines today rejected China`s newly declared air defense zone in the East China Sea as infringing on the freedom to fly in international airspace and compromising the safety of civil aviation.
Department of Foreign Affairs spokesman Raul Hernandez said China`s Air Defense Identification Zone threatens the national security of affected states and "transforms the entire air zone" into China`s "domestic airspace."
The US and Japan have said they don`t acknowledge the zone. Taiwan and South Korea have also rejected the zone, where foreign aircraft could be asked to identify themselves and accept Chinese instructions.
China and the Philippines have had territorial spats over South China Sea areas for years.
Filipino aviation official John Andrews says China can declare a similar zone over contested South China Sea areas where Philippine aircraft fly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!