Philippines searches for missing cargo ship
Manila: The Philippine coast
guard was searching on Sunday for a domestic cargo ship with 17
crewmen that disappeared after encountering big waves and
reporting engine trouble.
Crewmen aboard the 498-ton SF Freighter radioed the
ship`s owner, Seaford Shipping, on yesterday to report the
problems but shortly after all contact was lost, coast guard
Chief Admiral Wilfredo Tamayo said.
The owner launched an initial search near the ship`s last
known location off the coast of Marinduque province and
contacted the coast guard, Tamayo said.
A coast guard plane spotted a lone ship today in waters
off Marinduque, about 100 miles (160 kilometers) southeast of
Manila, but bad weather forced the plane to turn back before
it could make an identification, he said. Another attempt
would be made when the weather clears.
Passing ships and coastal communities have been told to
be on the look out for the steel-hulled ship, which was en
route to Manila from central Cebu province carrying a cargo of
steel bars when it went missing.
Gusty wind and waves, meanwhile, pulled up the anchor of
a cargo barge in Manila Bay late yesterday, causing the
wayward vessel to ram and damage five unoccupied huts and
eight fishing boats in a coastal village in suburban Navotas
city, Tamayo said. No injuries were reported.
A tropical depression, which has enhanced monsoon rains
and winds in northern and central regions, moved away from the
Ships have been warned to expect rough seas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!