Philippines typhoon turmoil: Pentagon sends choppers, rescue help
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: The monster typhoon that is believed to have killed over 10, 000 people in Philippines province of Leyte, unleashed vast devastation and turmoil with the government requesting the US for help in rescue operations, reports said.
The Pentagon said that it was sending aviation and navigation support in form of helicopters, fixed-wing aircraft and search and rescue equipments.
A statement by US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said that the support was sent after a request from the Philippines government.
"Secretary Hagel has directed US Pacific Command to support US government humanitarian relief operations in the Philippines in the wake of Typhoon Haiyan," the statement said.
The Pentagon also said it was working with the US Agency for International Development and the American ambassador in Manila, to continue to monitor the effects of the typhoon and was "ready to help our ally recover from the storm."
Armed with violent gusts reaching 275 Km/h and sustained winds of 235km/h, the deadly storm ruined about 70 to 80 percent of the area that came in its way as it rushed through Letye province`s capital city of Tacloban, reports said.
The monster typhoon Haiyna is a category 5 typhoon that brought along upto 400mm rains in places.
The officials said that most of the deaths were either form drowning or building collapses that was in turn triggered by the mighty sea waves of upto 15 metre in height that many likened to tsunami.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you