Philippines welcomes election of new Pope
Manila: The Philippines, the biggest Catholic nation in Asia, on Thursday welcomed the election of the new Pope saying, "this is a call for unity across nations" and "ethnicities" to work towards shaping a better world.
An official statement issued by President Benigno Aquino III office said, "Our administration is eager to work with the new Catholic leadership to achieve that end."
"President Aquino with the Filipino people joined all the Catholic faithful in welcoming the new Pope Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina and prayed that the holy pontiff will serve as a voice for peace, justice and charity in a world threatened by tension and armed conflict, poverty, uncertainty and loss of confidence in institutions."
The Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio G Cardinal Tagle in his welcome message thanked God for "his special gift in the extraordinary person of Pope Francis."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress