Philippines welcomes election of new Pope
Manila: The Philippines, the biggest Catholic nation in Asia, on Thursday welcomed the election of the new Pope saying, "this is a call for unity across nations" and "ethnicities" to work towards shaping a better world.
An official statement issued by President Benigno Aquino III office said, "Our administration is eager to work with the new Catholic leadership to achieve that end."
"President Aquino with the Filipino people joined all the Catholic faithful in welcoming the new Pope Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina and prayed that the holy pontiff will serve as a voice for peace, justice and charity in a world threatened by tension and armed conflict, poverty, uncertainty and loss of confidence in institutions."
The Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio G Cardinal Tagle in his welcome message thanked God for "his special gift in the extraordinary person of Pope Francis."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31