Philippines welcomes election of new Pope
Manila: The Philippines, the biggest Catholic nation in Asia, on Thursday welcomed the election of the new Pope saying, "this is a call for unity across nations" and "ethnicities" to work towards shaping a better world.
An official statement issued by President Benigno Aquino III office said, "Our administration is eager to work with the new Catholic leadership to achieve that end."
"President Aquino with the Filipino people joined all the Catholic faithful in welcoming the new Pope Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina and prayed that the holy pontiff will serve as a voice for peace, justice and charity in a world threatened by tension and armed conflict, poverty, uncertainty and loss of confidence in institutions."
The Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio G Cardinal Tagle in his welcome message thanked God for "his special gift in the extraordinary person of Pope Francis."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know