Philippines welcomes election of new Pope
Manila: The Philippines, the biggest Catholic nation in Asia, on Thursday welcomed the election of the new Pope saying, "this is a call for unity across nations" and "ethnicities" to work towards shaping a better world.
An official statement issued by President Benigno Aquino III office said, "Our administration is eager to work with the new Catholic leadership to achieve that end."
"President Aquino with the Filipino people joined all the Catholic faithful in welcoming the new Pope Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina and prayed that the holy pontiff will serve as a voice for peace, justice and charity in a world threatened by tension and armed conflict, poverty, uncertainty and loss of confidence in institutions."
The Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio G Cardinal Tagle in his welcome message thanked God for "his special gift in the extraordinary person of Pope Francis."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016