Philippines welcomes election of new Pope
Manila: The Philippines, the biggest Catholic nation in Asia, on Thursday welcomed the election of the new Pope saying, "this is a call for unity across nations" and "ethnicities" to work towards shaping a better world.
An official statement issued by President Benigno Aquino III office said, "Our administration is eager to work with the new Catholic leadership to achieve that end."
"President Aquino with the Filipino people joined all the Catholic faithful in welcoming the new Pope Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina and prayed that the holy pontiff will serve as a voice for peace, justice and charity in a world threatened by tension and armed conflict, poverty, uncertainty and loss of confidence in institutions."
The Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio G Cardinal Tagle in his welcome message thanked God for "his special gift in the extraordinary person of Pope Francis."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH