Philippines welcomes Xi, seeks to build trust with China
Manila: The Philippines on Thursday welcomed newly-elected Chinese President Xi Jinping and sought to build bilateral "mutual trust and cooperation" amid territorial disputes.
The Philippines will continue to "seek all opportunities to help build a climate of mutual trust and cooperation" with the People`s Republic of China, an official statement said.
The island nation looks forward to "opportunities for positive engagement fortified by trust, good will, and cooperation, for the mutual benefit of all peoples in our region and around the world," the statement said.
China and the Philippines are locked in territorial dispute over the resource rich areas in South China Sea.
In January this year, the Philippines intimated China that it was taking the issue to international arbitration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez