Philippines welcomes Xi, seeks to build trust with China
Manila: The Philippines on Thursday welcomed newly-elected Chinese President Xi Jinping and sought to build bilateral "mutual trust and cooperation" amid territorial disputes.
The Philippines will continue to "seek all opportunities to help build a climate of mutual trust and cooperation" with the People`s Republic of China, an official statement said.
The island nation looks forward to "opportunities for positive engagement fortified by trust, good will, and cooperation, for the mutual benefit of all peoples in our region and around the world," the statement said.
China and the Philippines are locked in territorial dispute over the resource rich areas in South China Sea.
In January this year, the Philippines intimated China that it was taking the issue to international arbitration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued