Philippines welcomes Xi, seeks to build trust with China
Manila: The Philippines on Thursday welcomed newly-elected Chinese President Xi Jinping and sought to build bilateral "mutual trust and cooperation" amid territorial disputes.
The Philippines will continue to "seek all opportunities to help build a climate of mutual trust and cooperation" with the People`s Republic of China, an official statement said.
The island nation looks forward to "opportunities for positive engagement fortified by trust, good will, and cooperation, for the mutual benefit of all peoples in our region and around the world," the statement said.
China and the Philippines are locked in territorial dispute over the resource rich areas in South China Sea.
In January this year, the Philippines intimated China that it was taking the issue to international arbitration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened