Phone-hacking: Cherie Blair, News International reach settlement
London: Former British prime minister Tony Blair`s wife, Cherie Blair, is one of 130 victims of phone-hacking who has accepted damages from News International in the latest batch of civil claims to be settled.
Actor James Nesbitt, currently appearing in the film version of The Hobbit, David Beckham`s father Ted and the actor Tamsin Outhwaite also settled claims arising from hacking by the News of the World.
According to the Telegraph, another 37 claims are still being thrashed out by lawyers, many of which are expected to be settled without the need for trials.
Other victims have been given payouts after approaching NI directly through a compensation scheme it set up in the wake of the newspaper`s closure, the paper said.
The latest round of payouts, many of which were agreed in the weeks before Christmas, is likely to cost the company millions of pounds, with typical payments ranging from GBP 10,000 to 130,000.
NI said it could not confirm the figures, which are expected to be clarified during a case management hearing at the High Court next month.
According to the paper, sources close to the case, however, confirmed that 130 claims had now been settled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!