Phone hacking scandal engulfs more UK newspapers
London: Britain`s phone-hacking scandal
appeared to be spreading to newspaper titles beyond those
owned by Rupert Murdoch, with fresh claims dragging the Mirror
group into the mire of allegations of eavesdropping on
In a dramatic turn to the scandal, former journalists
at the Mirror group said they witnessed phone hacking at their
newspapers and that the practice was "endemic".
So far, the allegations had clouded newspapers of the
News International group, the largely affected being the now
closed News of the World.
In fresh developments, James Hipwell, a former
journalist of the Daily Mirror told The Independent that he
would be willing to testify in front of a public inquiry into
the episode headed by Justice Brian Leveson.
The BBC also quoted a former employee of the Sunday
Mirror as claiming that he witnessed routine phone hacking in
the newsroom, with celebrities including actress Liz Hurley
and footballer Rio Ferdinand targeted.
The two newspapers were among the main competitors of
News International`s tabloids.
However, Trinity Mirror defended itself against the
allegations and said its journalists work within the criminal
law and Press Complaints Commission code of conduct.
Hipwell, 45, also alleged that hacking took place on
other newspapers within the Trinity Mirror group, including
The People, where Sean Hoare, the whistleblower who died
recently, was working before moving to the News of the World.
"It was endemic. Sean didn`t suddenly move from one
tabloid where it didn`t happen to another where it did. But at
the time it wasn`t illegal," he was quoted as saying by The
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why