Phone hacking scandal: Journalism lecturer arrested
London: Bethany Usher, a former journalist
and senior Journalism lecturer at Teesside University, was
on Wednesday arrested by the police in connection with the
phone-hacking scandal at the defunct, News of the World.
31-year-old Usher, who worked for the media baron Rupert`s
Murdoch`s tabloid from 2005-2007, was held on suspicion of
conspiracy to intercept voicemail messages.
Usher is the 17th person to be arrested under the
`Operation Weeting`, which is investigating the scandal.
She was named the Young Journalist of the Year in 2003.
The arrest came at a time when Alistair Campbell, the
controversial aide of former Prime Minister Tony Blair,
deposed before the Leveson Inquiry, and said the British press
is "frankly putrid in many of its elements".
A former journalist, Campbell, who worked closely with
Blair during his time as prime minister and was widely
considered a `spin doctor`, said many newspapers considered
their coverage of celebrities was a "public service".
In his witness statement to the inquiry, Campbell said:
"Editors are under enormous pressure. Journalists are under
enormous pressure. In most of the newsrooms, there are fewer
of them with more pages and online space to fill, and less
time to do it.
"These are important factors, but they should not be
excuses to let standards and ethics slip".
Stating that the freedom of the press being defended most
loudly had become a part of the press that is "barely worth
defending", he said: "A very, very small number of people have
changed the newspaper industry so they`ve now frankly
besmirched the name of every journalist in the country".
newspaper industry, blaming it on a "fiercely competitive
market" and the drive to copy celebrity magazines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire