Phone-hacking victims ‘scumbag celebrities’: Murdoch
London: Media tycoon Rupert Murdoch has reportedly branded victims of British tabloid News of the World’s phone hacking ‘scumbag celebrities’.
Murdoch took to Twitter to criticise the talks in Birmingham between UK Prime Minister David Cameron and members of the Hacked Off campaign, singer Charlotte Church, former Crimewatch presenter Jacqui Hames and actor Hugh Grant.
“Told UK`s Cameron receiving scumbag celebrities pushing for even more privacy laws. Trust the toffs! Transparency under attack. Bad,” Murdoch tweeted.
According to the Guardian, the comments sparked a storm of disapproval, and Murdoch was repeatedly asked to apologise and remove the tweets.
Hames hit back at Murdoch, tweeting: ‘never let the facts get in the way of a good story eh Rupert. Happy to discuss our concerns with you sometime?’
“I`ve been called worse, but admittedly not by CEO of large multinational corp,” she added.
According to the paper, the former Liberal Democrat MP Evan Harris was one of the first to respond to the comments on Twitter.
“By `scumbag celebs` do u mean the WPC u put under surveillance, the teen girl yr papers perved over, or the actor u hacked?” he tweeted.
He also accused Murdoch of being disingenuous and hypocritical, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them