Phone-hacking victims ‘scumbag celebrities’: Murdoch
London: Media tycoon Rupert Murdoch has reportedly branded victims of British tabloid News of the World’s phone hacking ‘scumbag celebrities’.
Murdoch took to Twitter to criticise the talks in Birmingham between UK Prime Minister David Cameron and members of the Hacked Off campaign, singer Charlotte Church, former Crimewatch presenter Jacqui Hames and actor Hugh Grant.
“Told UK`s Cameron receiving scumbag celebrities pushing for even more privacy laws. Trust the toffs! Transparency under attack. Bad,” Murdoch tweeted.
According to the Guardian, the comments sparked a storm of disapproval, and Murdoch was repeatedly asked to apologise and remove the tweets.
Hames hit back at Murdoch, tweeting: ‘never let the facts get in the way of a good story eh Rupert. Happy to discuss our concerns with you sometime?’
“I`ve been called worse, but admittedly not by CEO of large multinational corp,” she added.
According to the paper, the former Liberal Democrat MP Evan Harris was one of the first to respond to the comments on Twitter.
“By `scumbag celebs` do u mean the WPC u put under surveillance, the teen girl yr papers perved over, or the actor u hacked?” he tweeted.
He also accused Murdoch of being disingenuous and hypocritical, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?