Photo of Muslim woman `holding bra` sparks outrage
Ottawa: A Muslim student at the University of British Columbia, Canada, has been slammed by her peers for displaying a provocative photograph of a woman wearing a niqab and holding up a bra.
Sooraya Graham, 24, who is enrolled in a fine arts programme at Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops, took a black and white picture of her friend as a part of a class assignment.
A Muslim student offended by the image tore the photo down and hid it in protest, despite Graham’s attempt to humanise the figure of a modern Muslim woman wearing the customary veiled outfit, The Daily Mail reports.
According to the paper, Graham feels there is nothing wrong with trying to demystify the appearance of Muslim women in Canada by showing that she too wears underwear just like any other person.
"I found it really intrusive. There are things I encounter in the world I don’t like or I don’t agree with, but I would never take something down," the paper quoted her, as saying.
Since the protest has gone public, an education centre in the city funded by the Saudi Arabian embassy has expressed its opposition to the black and white image.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Philippines` Duterte looking to destroy `Imperial Manila`
- Monsoon special: Steal the show by going bold and beautiful with hairdos
- Brexit will put pressure on global growth: IMF deputy MD
- New survey lists out excuses Indians give to delay marriage – Check out
- Help me, I want to live: 11-year-old boy appeals to PM Modi