Photo of Muslim woman `holding bra` sparks outrage
Ottawa: A Muslim student at the University of British Columbia, Canada, has been slammed by her peers for displaying a provocative photograph of a woman wearing a niqab and holding up a bra.
Sooraya Graham, 24, who is enrolled in a fine arts programme at Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops, took a black and white picture of her friend as a part of a class assignment.
A Muslim student offended by the image tore the photo down and hid it in protest, despite Graham’s attempt to humanise the figure of a modern Muslim woman wearing the customary veiled outfit, The Daily Mail reports.
According to the paper, Graham feels there is nothing wrong with trying to demystify the appearance of Muslim women in Canada by showing that she too wears underwear just like any other person.
"I found it really intrusive. There are things I encounter in the world I don’t like or I don’t agree with, but I would never take something down," the paper quoted her, as saying.
Since the protest has gone public, an education centre in the city funded by the Saudi Arabian embassy has expressed its opposition to the black and white image.
- Is Bhagat Singh a revolutionary terrorist? : Taal Thok Ke Extra Strong - Part 1
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part II
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part III
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part IV
- West Bengal polls: Mamata rakes up 2G scam, slams Congress, BJP, CPI(M)
- Even after 24 hours, Visakhapatnam fire 'raging and out of control'; 41 fire tenders rushed
- Efforts to be made to restore NMNH specimens: Javadekar
- Check out! These are the top 10 defaulters in India; Kingfisher Airlines at No. 9?
- Shades of DMK promises in Cong manifesto for TN polls