Photo of New York police officer`s generosity goes viral
Washington: A photo of a New York City police officer helping a barefoot homeless man on a frigid November night by buying him new boots and socks, has gone viral on the web and captured the hearts of thousands for his random act of kindness.
"The two things that really stuck out in my mind that night was just how cold it was and that this was the most polite gentleman I ever met, and I knew I had to help him," New York Police Department (NYPD) officer Lawrence DePrimo said Friday on NBC`s "TODAY" show about feeling compelled to buy new boots for a homeless man he saw sitting on the sidewalk near Times Square.
Jennifer Foster, a tourist visiting New York City from the state of Arizona, witnessed DePrimo squatting down on the ground and putting socks and shoes on the homeless man and she said that the "man`s face lit up like it was Christmas and like he had been literally given a million dollars," she told the "TODAY" show.
Foster, without DePrimo knowing, took a snapshot of the officer`s generosity and sent it to the NYPD, which then posted the picture to its Facebook page where it instantly became a hit and has garnered more than 430,000 likes.
"I knew what I was looking at. I knew it was remarkable," said Foster, who has worked in law enforcement for 17 years as a dispatch manager for a sheriff`s office in Arizona.
The 25-year-old police officer was on counterterrorism patrol on the night of Nov 14 when he discovered the homeless man who had blisters on his feet. DePrimo said he stopped and asked the man, "`where`s your socks, where`s your shoes?` He was like, `It`s OK, officer, I never had a pair of shoes.` "
DePrimo then went to a nearby shoe store and bought the man a pair of socks and $75 boots with his own money and said he keeps the receipt as an "important reminder that some people have it worse."
The officer has found his new fame to be "surreal" and "humbling."
"It`s a great experience," he said. "I think it`s a lot about the people, though, because you see such great comments. People are saying that their faith in humanity is restored and that`s the biggest thing that I can take away from all of this."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in