Pilgrims perform ritual Devil stoning as Haj draws to a close
Mena: Hundreds of thousands of Muslim pilgrims performed the ritual stoning of the Devil on Wednesday as the annual Haj season drew to a close with no significant tragedies reported by Saudi authorities who were determined to ensure a safe pilgrimage.
In June, Saudi religious authorities approved a request by the government to cut the number of pilgrims from abroad this year by a fifth and halve the number of pilgrims from inside Saudi Arabia due to expansion work on the Grand Mosque in Mecca.
As a result, 1.98 million pilgrims performed Haj, one of the pillars of Islam, this year against 3.2 million last year. The numbers are expected to go back up next year.
The Haj, which culminates in the three-day Muslim festival of Eid al-Adha, officially ends on Thursday.
"This Haj was very easy as you can see its empty, so there`s no pushing or people throwing stones at your head," said Hassan Saleh, an Egyptian pilgrim from Cairo.
"Last time I was here, you couldn`t even walk in the street because of the crowds," Saleh, a driver who performed Haj three years ago, told Reuters.
Although Saudi authorities did not draw a link with the issue, they have been concerned about whether the influx of people for Haj could help spread the SARS-like coronavirus MERS, which has killed 51 people in the kingdom.
The pilgrimage, one of the largest religious gatherings in the world, has been prone to disasters in the past, mainly from stampedes as pilgrims rushed to complete rituals and return home. Hundreds of pilgrims died in a stampede in 2006.
Saudi authorities have since lavished vast sums to expand the main Haj sites and improve Mecca`s transportation system.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed