Pirates kidnap 2 Indians, 4 others off Nigerian coast
Abuja: Armed pirates have kidnapped six foreigners, including two Indians, after storming an oil service ship in southern Nigeria and demanded a ransom of USD 1.3 million, officials said Wednesday.
Gunmen attack took place on Sunday in Nigeria`s oil rich southern state of Bayelsa on board Armada Tuah vessel operated by Century Group based in Lagos, spokesman for the police Fidelis Odunna said.
"Three of those abducted are from Ukraine, two from India, one from Russia," Odunna said of the attack.
"One of the kidnappers called to demand the sum of 200 million naira (USD 1.3 million)", he added.
It was not immediately clear how far offshore the vessel was at the time of the attack.
"We have deployed intelligence personnel in search of the six workers," Odunna said.
Last month, five Indians kidnapped in a similar manner in December and were released but no mention was made of any ransom payment.
Piracy is common in Nigeria especially in the oil rich Delta region.
Attackers would go for oil-laden cargo or kidnap ship crews. In the later, they usually demand for ransom. Nigeria is Africa`s top oil producer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks