Pirates kidnap 2 Indians, 4 others off Nigerian coast
Abuja: Armed pirates have kidnapped six foreigners, including two Indians, after storming an oil service ship in southern Nigeria and demanded a ransom of USD 1.3 million, officials said Wednesday.
Gunmen attack took place on Sunday in Nigeria`s oil rich southern state of Bayelsa on board Armada Tuah vessel operated by Century Group based in Lagos, spokesman for the police Fidelis Odunna said.
"Three of those abducted are from Ukraine, two from India, one from Russia," Odunna said of the attack.
"One of the kidnappers called to demand the sum of 200 million naira (USD 1.3 million)", he added.
It was not immediately clear how far offshore the vessel was at the time of the attack.
"We have deployed intelligence personnel in search of the six workers," Odunna said.
Last month, five Indians kidnapped in a similar manner in December and were released but no mention was made of any ransom payment.
Piracy is common in Nigeria especially in the oil rich Delta region.
Attackers would go for oil-laden cargo or kidnap ship crews. In the later, they usually demand for ransom. Nigeria is Africa`s top oil producer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?