Pirates kidnap 2 Indians, 4 others off Nigerian coast
Abuja: Armed pirates have kidnapped six foreigners, including two Indians, after storming an oil service ship in southern Nigeria and demanded a ransom of USD 1.3 million, officials said Wednesday.
Gunmen attack took place on Sunday in Nigeria`s oil rich southern state of Bayelsa on board Armada Tuah vessel operated by Century Group based in Lagos, spokesman for the police Fidelis Odunna said.
"Three of those abducted are from Ukraine, two from India, one from Russia," Odunna said of the attack.
"One of the kidnappers called to demand the sum of 200 million naira (USD 1.3 million)", he added.
It was not immediately clear how far offshore the vessel was at the time of the attack.
"We have deployed intelligence personnel in search of the six workers," Odunna said.
Last month, five Indians kidnapped in a similar manner in December and were released but no mention was made of any ransom payment.
Piracy is common in Nigeria especially in the oil rich Delta region.
Attackers would go for oil-laden cargo or kidnap ship crews. In the later, they usually demand for ransom. Nigeria is Africa`s top oil producer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi