Pirates kidnap Italian sailors off Nigerian coast
Abuja: Pirates have kidnapped four Italian sailors after raiding their ship off a Nigerian coast, the International Maritime Bureau has said in a statement.
The attack took place on Monday some 40 nautical miles off the coast off Bayelsa state along Pennington river in Southern Ijaw local government, they said, adding that the remaining inmates sailed off with the ship.
The sailors were returning from Eket town in southern state of Akwa Ibom when the armed men accosted them with a speed boat along the waterways.
According to IMB, the attacked vessel was Asso Ventuno which is operated by Augusta offshore SpA.
The Bayelsa State Commissioner of Police Omire confirmed the kidnap incident.
On Wednesday, heavily armed pirates had also attacked and looted an oil vessel off the coast of Nigeria`s Niger delta region, kidnapping five Indian sailors on board, ship`s operators Medallion Marine said.
The Nigerian navy said they were in pursuit of the abductors a few hours after the attack.
Attacks on ships are common in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria where several militants are engage in sea crime.
Hijackers often abduct sailors and later demand ransom from the ship owners, besides stealing crude from oil vessels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!