Pirates kill 2, kidnap 4 foreigners off Nigeria coast
Abuja: Suspected pirates attacked a boat off Nigeria`s southern oil-rich city of Port Harcourt, killing two sailors and kidnapping four foreigners in an area located in the Gulf of Guinea.
Navy spokesman, Colonel Kabir Aliyu, said the boat in which the victims were traveling belonged to a Netherlands- based oil servicing company, Sea Truck Group Jascon.
The four abducted foreigners were Indonesian, Iranian, Malaysian and Thai.
Those killed and two other injured were Nigerians.
Spokesperson for the shipping company, Corrie van Kessel, confirmed that the employees for the company were kidnapped by the attackers who besieged one of the company`s vessels in Nigerian waters.
The attack happened 33 nautical miles off Port Harcourt and authorities in Nigeria said they have not established the reason for the pirates action.
The area located within the oil-rich African country`s Niger Delta region has been known for frequent attacks by sea pirates who either stole oil or just demanded ransom for the release of their hostages.
The region was infested with militants for years who claimed to be fighting for resource control and crippled oil production, until the Nigeria government gave them amnesty in exchange for weapons.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India