Pirates release tanker, sailors seized off Nigeria
Lagos: Pirates released an oil tanker seized off the coast of Nigeria, an official said on Friday, freeing the 20-member Eastern European crew unharmed after five days in captivity.
The pirates left the MT Cape Bird late Thursday night, allowing the crew to sail away to safety from the spot 90 nautical miles off the coast of Lagos where they were being held, said a spokeswoman for Columbia Shipmanagement GmbH of Hamburg, Germany.
The spokeswoman said she could not give any information on whether a ransom had been paid or if any of the ship`s cargo of oil had been taken. She spoke on condition of anonymity demanded by company policy.
A spokesman for the Nigerian Navy could not immediately be reached for comment on Friday.
Pirates seized the vessel on Saturday night, apparently targeting its cargo of either refined or unrefined crude oil. That`s part of a growing trend to target oil shipments moving out of Nigeria in the region. Analysts say some of the targeted ships carry crude stolen from Nigeria`s oil-rich southern delta, where thefts run into the hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil a day.
The hijacking is one of the latest in West Africa`s Gulf of Guinea, which follows the continent`s southward curve from Liberia to Gabon. Over the last eight months, piracy in the oil-rich region has escalated from low-level armed robberies to hijackings and cargo thefts.
In August, London-based Lloyd`s Market Association, an umbrella group of insurers, listed Nigeria, neighbouring Benin and nearby waters in the same risk category as Somalia, where two decades of war and anarchy have allowed piracy to flourish.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- WhatsApp chat between Hrithik Roshan and his mother will give you fitness goals! View inside
- Producer's Guild hold emergency meet after 'Dishoom' leak threat
- WATCH: HISTORIC! Neeraj Chopra sets U-20 Javelin record, becomes first Indian world champion in athletics
- REVEALED: Why Hindu families in Aligarh want to sell their houses, leave area
- We’re not broken, just bent and we can learn to love again!