Plague outbreak takes third life in China
Beijing: An outbreak of pneumonic plague in northwest China has claimed a third victim, local health authorities reported, as they continued to cordon off a town.
The man was identified as Danzhi, 64, from Ziketan town, in the Hainan Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, according to a statement on the website of the Qinghai Health Bureau.
The town, with a population of 10,000, has been quarantined since the outbreak began on Thursday. A 32-year-old herder and his neighbour died earlier from the disease.
Nine other people have been isolated after showing signs of infection, with one in a serious condition and another with symptoms such as coughing and chest pain, the health bureau said.
Pneumonic plague is a highly infectious, air-born form of the disease and is spread human-to-human through coughing. If left untreated, it can kill within 24 hours of infection, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
In most cases, the pneumonic form is due to a secondary spread from an advanced infection of the bubonic plague, which is spread through flea bites.
"Provincial, prefecture and county-level health professionals are continuing to carry out disinfection and pest and rodent control, in order to eliminate fleas," the Qinghai health bureau said in the statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM