Plane carrying 16 disappears over Indonesian Papua
Jakarta: A plane carrying 16 people disappeared over eastern Indonesia on Sunday, an airline official said.
The Twin Otter plane was on a commercial flight in the remote Papua region when it lost contact with ground officials, said Capt Nikmatullah, the director of operations of the airline operating the plane, Merpati Nusantara.
Nikmatullah, who goes by a single name, said no trace had been found of the plane more then four hours after it took off. The aircraft was carrying enough fuel to keep it in the air for 3 1/2 hours, he told Metro TV station.
The plane was on a 50-minute journey from Sentani, a major airport in Papua, to the town of Oksibil, he said.
Much of Papua is covered with impenetrable jungles and mountains. In the past, crashed planes have never been found.
Indonesia, a nation of more than 18,000 islands, has seen a string of air crashes in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof