PM Lee says Singapore will favour its citizens
Singapore: Singapore`s Prime Minister says his government will seek to favour its citizens after a backlash against a surge in foreign workers.
Lee Hsien Loong said in a speech on Sunday the government will build 50,000 apartments during this year and next to help stabilise a spike in housing prices.
He also said the government plans to cap the number of foreign university students while adding 17 percent more Singaporeans by 2015.
Lee said entry requirements will be made more stringent for some foreign workers. He said fewer foreign workers could lead to slower economic growth.
Opposition parties blamed foreign workers for soaring housing prices, crowded public transportation and stagnant wage growth during May`s Parliamentary Election campaign.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai