PML-N demands independent panel to probes Kargil conflict
Lahore: Pakistan`s main opposition PML-N has stepped up its demand for creation of an independent judicial commission to probe the Kargil conflict of 1999 following revelations by retired Army officers that former military ruler Pervez Musharraf had masterminded the operation.
"A judicial commission on Kargil should be established without any further delay to bring the facts before the people," said Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, a senior leader of the PML-N.
Sharif, the younger brother of PML-N chief and former premier Nawaz Sharif, said Musharraf was blatantly lying about his role in the Kargil operation.
There has been a renewed focus on the Kargil conflict since Lt Gen (retired) Shahid Aziz, who headed the analysis wing of the Inter-Services Intelligence in 1999, claimed that Musharraf and three other generals planned and executed the operation while keeping other military commanders in the dark.
Col (retired) Ashfaq Hussain, another former aide to Musharraf, has said that the military ruler flew across the Line of Control in a helicopter and spent a night with Pakistani troops who had intruded into Indian territory weeks before hostilities began in the Kargil sector.
Shahbaz Sharif said Musharraf, currently living in self-exile in London and Dubai, must be held accountable.
"Musharraf is responsible for destroying Pakistan and history will never forgive him," he said.
"Musharraf will be remembered with reference to the destruction of Pakistan. He pushed Pakistan into suicide attacks and terrorism," Sharif said.
Sharif said Pakistan was left alone in the world community due to the Kargil conflict but Nawaz Sharif brought the Army out of the operation in a safe manner.
"It was Nawaz Sharif who saved Pakistan from isolation after Musharrf`s misadventure," he said.
Only an independent investigation would reveal the truth about the Kargil operation, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark