Poison found in two letters sent to NY mayor
New York: Two threatening letters sent last week to New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg contained the poison ricin, the city`s police department announced Wednesday.
One of the letters was received last Friday at a New York municipal office and the other arrived at an office in Washington that houses the Mayors Against Illegal Guns, an advocacy group Bloomberg founded to push for stricter gun control laws.
Bloomberg never came in contact with the letters.
The letters contain threats against Bloomberg over his policy against the unrestricted sale of firearms, an effort in which he has become more active after the Newtown, Connecticut, elementary school massacre last December.
Preliminary tests performed on the letters confirmed the presence of ricin, a deadly poison.
The letter sent to New York was opened at a postal reception center for the Mayor`s Office located on Gold St. and contained threats against Bloomberg.
Three members of a New York police unit that deals with emergencies handled the letter and had to be treated last weekend for slight symptoms of exposure to ricin, the police reported.
The letters have a return address in the state of Louisiana.
Authorities waited to announce the receipt of the letters until the results of the initial tests were in hand. Tests were performed at the National Bioforensic Analysis Center in Maryland.
Authorities believe the same person sent both letters, and the NYPD along with the FBI counterterrorism division is investigating their origin.
In mid-April a letter containing ricin was sent to President Barack Obama and on the same day another letter containing the same poison was set to Sen. Roger Wicker.
A third suspicious letter was sent to the office of Sen. Carl Levin.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation