Poland buries president as world leaders cancel
Krakow: Tens of thousands of
grieving Poles packed Krakow Sunday for the burial of President
Lech Kaczynski and his wife alongside past kings and heroes,
though Europe`s air travel crisis kept many world leaders
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev arrived for the state
funeral, but the ash plume that has caused global travel chaos
prevented his US counterpart Barack Obama and dozens of other
dignitaries from coming.
Mourners applauded, tossed flowers and waved red and
white flags as the Kaczynskis` cortege weaved slowly through
the narrow streets of the historic city, after their bodies
were flown by military aircraft from Warsaw.
The funeral marks the climax of an outpouring of national
grief over an air crash near the Russian city of Smolensk
eight days ago that killed the presidential couple and 94
others, mostly top military and civilian officials.
Ceremonies started with a Roman Catholic funeral mass at
the Gothic Basilica of Our Lady in Krakow`s central square,
where huge crowds had gathered to see the service relayed live
on giant screens.
Kaczynski, an often divisive nationalist, and his spouse
were to be laid to rest in the cathedral crypt of Krakow`s
hilltop Wawel castle, alongside Poland`s monarchs, national
heroes, saints and poets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues