Poland buries president as world leaders cancel
Krakow: Tens of thousands of
grieving Poles packed Krakow Sunday for the burial of President
Lech Kaczynski and his wife alongside past kings and heroes,
though Europe`s air travel crisis kept many world leaders
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev arrived for the state
funeral, but the ash plume that has caused global travel chaos
prevented his US counterpart Barack Obama and dozens of other
dignitaries from coming.
Mourners applauded, tossed flowers and waved red and
white flags as the Kaczynskis` cortege weaved slowly through
the narrow streets of the historic city, after their bodies
were flown by military aircraft from Warsaw.
The funeral marks the climax of an outpouring of national
grief over an air crash near the Russian city of Smolensk
eight days ago that killed the presidential couple and 94
others, mostly top military and civilian officials.
Ceremonies started with a Roman Catholic funeral mass at
the Gothic Basilica of Our Lady in Krakow`s central square,
where huge crowds had gathered to see the service relayed live
on giant screens.
Kaczynski, an often divisive nationalist, and his spouse
were to be laid to rest in the cathedral crypt of Krakow`s
hilltop Wawel castle, alongside Poland`s monarchs, national
heroes, saints and poets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir