Poland tightens border in hunt for Auschwitz sign
Oswiecim: The Polish government says it has tightened security as the search intensifies for the infamous "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign that was stolen from the Auschwitz memorial site.
Interior Ministry spokeswoman Wioletta Paprocka said Saturday that border guards at Poland`s eastern border with Ukraine and Belarus — which is also the European Union`s eastern frontier — stepped up checks of goods out of Poland looking for the sign, which means "Work Makes You Free."
Checks have also been tightened at airports.
Interior Minister Jerzy Miller ordered police to increase vigilance and question all possible witnesses and suspects in a nationwide effort to find the sign that stands as one of Nazi Germany`s most chilling symbols.
Thieves stole the sign before dawn on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?