Poland train derailment: Four dead, many injured
Warsaw: A train packed with passengers derailed in central Poland on Friday as it was traveling from Warsaw to Katowice, killing four passengers and injuring dozens of others.
The train derailed in the village of Baby, near the central city of Piotrkow Trybunalski, with the engine and three of the train`s carriages going off the tracks, police spokeswoman Ewa Drozdz said.
Four people were killed and dozens injured aboard the special low-fare train run by the state railway company, PKP. Rescue teams were working at the site, and the cause of the accident was not immediately known, Drozdz added.
A spokesman for PKP, Lukasz Kurpiewski, said some 280 people were believed to be on the train when it derailed around 4:15 p.m. (1415 GMT).
He said it appeared the train did not hit any obstacle.
A passenger, Marcin Chlebowski, told TVN24 television that the train started to slow suddenly and that he then felt a shock.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why