Poland train derailment: Four dead, many injured
Warsaw: A train packed with passengers derailed in central Poland on Friday as it was traveling from Warsaw to Katowice, killing four passengers and injuring dozens of others.
The train derailed in the village of Baby, near the central city of Piotrkow Trybunalski, with the engine and three of the train`s carriages going off the tracks, police spokeswoman Ewa Drozdz said.
Four people were killed and dozens injured aboard the special low-fare train run by the state railway company, PKP. Rescue teams were working at the site, and the cause of the accident was not immediately known, Drozdz added.
A spokesman for PKP, Lukasz Kurpiewski, said some 280 people were believed to be on the train when it derailed around 4:15 p.m. (1415 GMT).
He said it appeared the train did not hit any obstacle.
A passenger, Marcin Chlebowski, told TVN24 television that the train started to slow suddenly and that he then felt a shock.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation