Poland train derailment: Four dead, many injured
Warsaw: A train packed with passengers derailed in central Poland on Friday as it was traveling from Warsaw to Katowice, killing four passengers and injuring dozens of others.
The train derailed in the village of Baby, near the central city of Piotrkow Trybunalski, with the engine and three of the train`s carriages going off the tracks, police spokeswoman Ewa Drozdz said.
Four people were killed and dozens injured aboard the special low-fare train run by the state railway company, PKP. Rescue teams were working at the site, and the cause of the accident was not immediately known, Drozdz added.
A spokesman for PKP, Lukasz Kurpiewski, said some 280 people were believed to be on the train when it derailed around 4:15 p.m. (1415 GMT).
He said it appeared the train did not hit any obstacle.
A passenger, Marcin Chlebowski, told TVN24 television that the train started to slow suddenly and that he then felt a shock.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan