Poland train derailment: Four dead, many injured
Warsaw: A train packed with passengers derailed in central Poland on Friday as it was traveling from Warsaw to Katowice, killing four passengers and injuring dozens of others.
The train derailed in the village of Baby, near the central city of Piotrkow Trybunalski, with the engine and three of the train`s carriages going off the tracks, police spokeswoman Ewa Drozdz said.
Four people were killed and dozens injured aboard the special low-fare train run by the state railway company, PKP. Rescue teams were working at the site, and the cause of the accident was not immediately known, Drozdz added.
A spokesman for PKP, Lukasz Kurpiewski, said some 280 people were believed to be on the train when it derailed around 4:15 p.m. (1415 GMT).
He said it appeared the train did not hit any obstacle.
A passenger, Marcin Chlebowski, told TVN24 television that the train started to slow suddenly and that he then felt a shock.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- MUST WATCH: One to be treasured! Virat Kohli's 200 and Sunil Gavaskar's generous applause
- SCOPE for accountability check of NGOs getting funds from PSUs
- Govt to invest Rs 200 crore on scaling up existing incubators
- MUST WATCH VIDEO FOR ALL CRICKET FANS: When Rahul Dravid found himself stranded against XI South Africans
- Dayashankar row: How sympathising BSP leader Nasimuddin Siddiqui turns into a 'villain' – READ