Polanski sex assault victim to publish memoirs
Paris: The woman filmmaker Roman Polanski in 1977 pleaded guilty to having unlawful sex with when she was 13 is to publish her memoirs, a French publishing house said on Monday.
"The Girl. A Life Lived in the Shadow of Roman Polanski" by Samantha Geimer, now 49, is due to come out in the United States on September 17 and in France on October 3.
A spokeswoman for French publishers Michel Lafon told AFP the book was "not really an attack on Polanski", but added that the French version would be entitled "Moi, Samantha, 13 ans, violee par Roman Polanski".
(Me, Samantha, 13-years-old, raped by Roman Polanski).
The book`s cover will use a colour photograph of Geimer taken by Polanski three weeks before the sexual assault, according to the publisher.
Polanski was initially charged with six felony counts, including rape and sodomy, but the charges were later reduced under a plea deal made in part to spare Geimer the ordeal of a trial.
Polanski, who had had a string of hit films including "Rosemary`s Baby" and "Chinatown", served 42 days at a secure unit but fled the United States on the eve of his sentencing in 1978 amid fears the trial judge planned to go back on a previously agreed plea deal.
In 2009, he was arrested on an international warrant at Zurich airport over the decades-old child sex case as he was headed to the city`s film festival.
Polanski spent 10 months in Swiss custody before convincing the authorities in Bern not to honour a US extradition request, and instead to release him.
The Franco-Polish Oscar-winning director in 2011 told a television interviewer: "I have regretted it for 33 years."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan