Police could take down plane if needed: NYPD chief
New York: The chief of the New York Police Department says city police could take down a plane if necessary.
Commissioner Ray Kelly tells CBS` "60 Minutes" that after the Sept. 11 attacks, he decided the city couldn`t rely on the federal government alone. He set about creating the NYPD`s own counter-terrorism unit. He says the department is prepared for multiple scenarios and could even take down a plane.
Kelly didn`t divulge details but said "obviously this would be in a very extreme situation."
Other measures include sending NYPD officers abroad, using radiation detectors and creating a network of surveillance cameras in Manhattan.
The interview airs Sunday evening. It comes two weeks after the tenth anniversary of 9/11, when hijackers flew planes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands