Police in Colorado probe motives of dead high school gunman
Centennial: Police on Saturday sought to learn why a teenager stormed through his suburban Denver school with a shotgun and Molotov cocktails, opening fire on a fellow student before taking his own life in the latest burst of US school gun violence.
Arapahoe County Sheriff Grayson Robinson said detectives were investigating revenge as a possible motive for Friday`s shooting.
But he has declined to elaborate or to comment on unconfirmed reports that the suspect, identified as Karl Pierson, may have been angry at having been demoted from or kicked off the school debate team.
Police said the student gunman`s intended target appeared to be a teacher who Pierson was calling out for by name as the armed teenager stalked through the hallways of Arapahoe High School.
The faculty member, who police have not publicly named but who local media accounts, citing eyewitnesses, have identified as school librarian Tracy Murphy, fled the building unharmed.
When the suspect started shooting, a 15-year-old girl, who authorities say was in Pierson`s line of fire though apparently not an intended victim, was severely wounded.
A second girl who was initially thought to have been wounded was not injured, but spattered with blood from the teenager who was hit as staff and students scurried for cover.
Sheriff`s deputies and police converging on the school encountered heavy smoke in the building from a Molotov cocktail-like incendiary device Pierson had set off, one of two he was carrying.
Pierson, who had entered the school brandishing a shotgun, was found by police about 15 minutes later in a classroom, dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the sheriff said.
Robinson said the teen appeared to have killed himself as law enforcement officers closed in, though officers never fired a shot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Brave jawans gun down six militants in encounters in Kashmir's Kupwara - Know gunbattle details
- Brexit poll results: Britain, EU relation on knife-edge as historic referendum closes
- One killed in PKK car bomb in Turkey's southeast
- Morocco arrests 10 suspected Islamist militants, including Algerian
- India’s bid for NSG membership blocked as member countries fail to arrive at a consensus