Police officer charged in UK bribery probe
London: British prosecutors are charging a former police officer with leaking information to a tabloid newspaper.
The Crown Prosecution Service said on Thursday that Alan Tierney, a former constable with Surrey Police, faces two charges of misconduct in public office.
Prosecutors say that in 2009 Tierney sold information about a shoplifting incident and a domestic violence incident to Rupert Murdoch`s Sun newspaper for a total of 1,750 pounds (USD 2,750). They say both incidents were linked to "high-profile people."
Tierney is the latest person to be charged in connection with phone-hacking, bribery and other wrongdoing by Britain`s tabloid press.
The investigation has led to dozens of arrests and to criminal charges against police officers and journalists, including Prime Minister David Cameron`s former communications chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority