Police officer dies in Turkey protest: Official
Ankara (Turkey): A police officer died after falling into an underpass while trying to subdue a protest in southern Turkey, a regional governor said Thursday, bringing the death toll in a week of protests to three.
Gov. Huseyin Avni Cos said the officer died in a hospital Thursday after falling into the underpass that was still under construction in Adana, on the Mediterranean coast, the previous night. He was trying to break up protests there.
Two protesters have been reported killed in protests that have erupted in some 70 cities, and one person is on life support in a hospital in Ankara. The Turkish Human Rights Foundation said some 4,300 people were hurt or sought medical care for the effects of tear gas.
The government says dozens of police officers have been injured.
The protests were sparked by the police breakup of a sit-in to prevent the demolition of a park in central Istanbul, but it spiraled into rallies by thousands denouncing what they say is the government`s increasingly authoritarian form of governing and its meddling in lifestyles. They are also angered at what human rights groups have said is excessive use of force to disperse the protests.
Scrambling to contain tensions, Turkish officials have delivered more conciliatory messages to the thousands of protesters. Turkey`s deputy prime minister offered an apology for the heavy-handed way the sit-in protest was rousted.
Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan is due to return on Thursday from a four-day North African tour. All eyes will be on him to see if he also softens his line.
Huseyin Celik, deputy leader of Erdogan`s Islamic-rooted party, said the government is sympathetic to secular-minded Turks`concerns and is prepared to take steps to "eliminate" their fears.
Besir Atalay, another deputy prime minister, added: "We are carrying out an analysis. We are trying to better understand all of the messages. We are very sensitive on the issue."
Celik has also called on party supporters not to come out in force to greet Erdogan when he arrives.
Police late on Wednesday used tear gas to disperse thousands who massed in central Ankara. Witnesses said police fired gas at a group taking refreshments at a tavern in an alleyway. A human rights group said "several people" were hospitalized.
Also Wednesday, the Dogan news agency said a group of some 15 people who gathered in the northern city of Rize on Turkey`s Black Sea coast were attacked by a group supporting the Erdogan government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!