Police official murders Mexican mayor
Mexico City: The mayor of Aquila, a town in eastern Mexico, was gunned down by a police commander following a "heated argument", the Veracruz state Attorney General`s Office said.
Geronimo Manuel Garcia Rosas was shot early Monday by Adan Gonzalez Vega, who was arrested by Public Safety Secretariat officers, the AG`s office said.
The shooting occurred while the mayor and the municipal police department`s second-in-command "were in a meeting", the AG`s office said.
The two men began to argue and Gonzalez Vega drew his weapon and shot the mayor, who died while being treated at a hospital.
Aquila is a small town in western Veracruz that is home, according to the 2010 census, to 1,797 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 2016 Rio Olympics: Russia bids to avoid ban as IOC reports new test failures
- What did she do that people tied her with rope and handed over to police? - Must read
- Assam flood situation grim, close to 3 lakh remain affected
- Sam Allardyce gets England job at second time of asking
- Multiple deaths reported in Munich shopping centre shooting, police operation underway