Police peacefully take over 9 more Rio slums
Sao Paulo: Police faced no resistance on Sunday as they took control of nine more slums commanded by drug traffickers, an operation that also led to the arrest of an allegedly fake German doctor working at a makeshift hospital in one of the shantytowns.
Backed by dozens of armoured vehicles and a helicopter, nearly 1,000 police officers, agents and troops invaded the downtown slums and easily took control without any exchange of gunshots in less than two hours.
Police spokesman Henrique de Lima Castro Saraiva said authorities will now begin installing police units in the shantytowns under a program in which security forces have been taking over and pacifying the city`s poor communities.
Authorities said that while police searched for drug traffickers, weapons and drugs, they found a German man who is living illegally in Brazil and apparently helped treat injured gang members at a house in a slum.
Police Colonel Aristeu Leonardo told Globo TV that the man was wearing a doctor`s jacket when he was detained. He said the man confessed he had acted as a doctor even though he never finished his medical studies in Germany.
Leonardo said the man, who was not immediately identified, was only a paramedic whose tourist visa expired in 2007.
"He was not supposed to be working because he is not a doctor and because he supposedly was a tourist," Leonardo said. "Now we will investigate whether the place he was working was used to treat drug traffickers or if he only provided medical services to the community. Either way, it was illegal."
Brazil`s federal police department planned to investigate the alleged irregularities on the man`s visa.
Police found several first-aid kits and medical equipment to conduct surgeries at the house where the German was found in the Mineirinha shantytown. A notebook with a list of unidentified patients and the medical procedures done on them also was seized.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow