Police peacefully take over 9 more Rio slums
Sao Paulo: Police faced no resistance on Sunday as they took control of nine more slums commanded by drug traffickers, an operation that also led to the arrest of an allegedly fake German doctor working at a makeshift hospital in one of the shantytowns.
Backed by dozens of armoured vehicles and a helicopter, nearly 1,000 police officers, agents and troops invaded the downtown slums and easily took control without any exchange of gunshots in less than two hours.
Police spokesman Henrique de Lima Castro Saraiva said authorities will now begin installing police units in the shantytowns under a program in which security forces have been taking over and pacifying the city`s poor communities.
Authorities said that while police searched for drug traffickers, weapons and drugs, they found a German man who is living illegally in Brazil and apparently helped treat injured gang members at a house in a slum.
Police Colonel Aristeu Leonardo told Globo TV that the man was wearing a doctor`s jacket when he was detained. He said the man confessed he had acted as a doctor even though he never finished his medical studies in Germany.
Leonardo said the man, who was not immediately identified, was only a paramedic whose tourist visa expired in 2007.
"He was not supposed to be working because he is not a doctor and because he supposedly was a tourist," Leonardo said. "Now we will investigate whether the place he was working was used to treat drug traffickers or if he only provided medical services to the community. Either way, it was illegal."
Brazil`s federal police department planned to investigate the alleged irregularities on the man`s visa.
Police found several first-aid kits and medical equipment to conduct surgeries at the house where the German was found in the Mineirinha shantytown. A notebook with a list of unidentified patients and the medical procedures done on them also was seized.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US