Police presence high in volatile east Jerusalem
Jerusalem: The Israeli police presence in east Jerusalem is high and Palestinian access to the city`s holiest site is being strictly limited in anticipation of possible unrest on Friday.
Israel is also barring nearly all West Bank Palestinians from entering the city.
Friday is the Muslim holy day, and in tense times protests often break out after midday prayers.
Palestinians and police clashed repeatedly this past week in east Jerusalem.
The violence coincided with a US-Israeli diplomatic feud.
On Thursday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton with a proposal to defuse the crisis, which erupted over Israeli plans to build 1,600 apartments in east Jerusalem.
Neither side released details.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'