Police probe threatens Australian government
Sydney: Australian police on Tuesday said they
were reviewing allegations that a government MP used a former
employer`s credit card to pay for prostitutes, in a move that
could derail Labour’s fragile rule.
Craig Thomson allegedly paid for sex workers and escorts
with a card issued by the Health Services Union in 2003 and
2005, when he was the national secretary.
The Labor politician denies the allegations, first made
public two years ago by local newspapers, saying that someone
else had his credit card and mobile phone when the events took
He has received the backing of the ruling party,
including staunch support from Prime Minister Julia Gillard.
Labor helped pay for Thomson`s defamation case against
the local newspapers involved, lending him more than USD
95,000 after the legal action threatened to bankrupt him,
which would have forced him out of parliament.
Parliamentary rules stipulate that bankrupts or anyone
convicted of a crime that carries a possible penalty of a year
or more in prison are forbidden from holding office.
Thomson has since abandoned the defamation action.
Labor holds power with a wafer-thin majority of just
one seat after deadlocked elections last year, and the loss of
Thomson`s seat -- which would likely swing to the
conservatives in a by-election -- could end their rule.
Police said they were examining information "in
relation to a number of matters concerning a federal Labor MP"
which had been referred by opposition legal spokesman George
They initially said it was to "determine whether a
criminal offence has occurred", but later issued a statement
clarifying that they were working "to determine whether there
are grounds that warrant an investigation".
The police have not specified which crime or crimes may
be involved, but paying for sex is not illegal in New South
Brandis said he was "very confident" the credit card
statements and affidavits he had presented to the state`s
police chief would establish that a criminal act -- forgery at
the very least -- had taken place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'