Police probe threatens Australian government
Sydney: Australian police on Tuesday said they
were reviewing allegations that a government MP used a former
employer`s credit card to pay for prostitutes, in a move that
could derail Labour’s fragile rule.
Craig Thomson allegedly paid for sex workers and escorts
with a card issued by the Health Services Union in 2003 and
2005, when he was the national secretary.
The Labor politician denies the allegations, first made
public two years ago by local newspapers, saying that someone
else had his credit card and mobile phone when the events took
He has received the backing of the ruling party,
including staunch support from Prime Minister Julia Gillard.
Labor helped pay for Thomson`s defamation case against
the local newspapers involved, lending him more than USD
95,000 after the legal action threatened to bankrupt him,
which would have forced him out of parliament.
Parliamentary rules stipulate that bankrupts or anyone
convicted of a crime that carries a possible penalty of a year
or more in prison are forbidden from holding office.
Thomson has since abandoned the defamation action.
Labor holds power with a wafer-thin majority of just
one seat after deadlocked elections last year, and the loss of
Thomson`s seat -- which would likely swing to the
conservatives in a by-election -- could end their rule.
Police said they were examining information "in
relation to a number of matters concerning a federal Labor MP"
which had been referred by opposition legal spokesman George
They initially said it was to "determine whether a
criminal offence has occurred", but later issued a statement
clarifying that they were working "to determine whether there
are grounds that warrant an investigation".
The police have not specified which crime or crimes may
be involved, but paying for sex is not illegal in New South
Brandis said he was "very confident" the credit card
statements and affidavits he had presented to the state`s
police chief would establish that a criminal act -- forgery at
the very least -- had taken place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed