Police seize six grenades in Malaysian hotel
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian police said on Monday they had seized six grenades from a hotel in the capital and were investigating for possible links to terror groups.
The grenades were found in a budget hotel room in the Brickfields area, following a police raid last Wednesday, city police chief Zulkifli Abdullah said.
"Police carried out the raid on Wednesday and we are investigating to find out more details on the grenades, its owners and links," he said, without giving further details.
State media reported police were investigating if the explosives were linked to regional militant groups but the head of the country`s anti-terror task force said initial reports showed they were unlikely to be used by terror groups.
A string of arrests and detentions last year have highlighted the growing presence of radicals using Malaysia as a base to recruit supporters and plan attacks.
Malaysia`s universities have also become prime recruiting grounds for Islamic militants, security experts have warned.
Unlike neighbouring Indonesia and Thailand, the moderate Muslim-majority nation has remained largely free of terror attacks but there are fears that lax policies could create a haven for jihadists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31