Police station attacked in north Nigeria
Kano: Police say gunmen have attacked a police station in the north Nigeria city previously targeted in a massive assault by a radical Islamist sect.
Police say the shootout Tuesday night in Kano left no injuries, though gunfire echoed around the nervous city. Kano was attacked by the sect known as Boko Haram in January, an assault that killed at least 185 people.
Meanwhile, a military spokesman in Maiduguri in the northeast says suspected sect members shot dead an auto parts dealer who is from the nation`s Christian Igbo people.
Officials also said four suspected Boko Haram gunmen were killed Tuesday night in Kano and Maiduguri.
Boko Haram is waging an increasingly bloody fight against Nigeria`s weak central government. The sect`s demands include implementation of strict Shariah law and the release of all its detained members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters