Police stopped man approaching Biden at Olympics opening
Vancouver: A man using false accreditation was able to get within several meters of US Vice President Joe Biden before being arrested at the Vancouver Olympics Opening Ceremony, police said.
Joe Taplin, a Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer serving with the Olympics security task force, said the man was stopped when he got about 12 rows from where Biden was sitting in a specially-protected VIP section in BC Place Stadium yesterday.
The unarmed man was escorted into a hallway, tried to flee, and then was apprehended again, said Taplin, who added Biden was not in danger at any time.
The man, whose name has not been released, was turned over the Vancouver Police Department.
"They are not recommending charges at this time but believe mental health issues were a contributing factor," Taplin said.
An investigation is under way to determine how the man got inside.
The news first was reported by CTV.
Taplin said US Secret Service agents with Biden were alerted about the incident and were satisfied with how it was handled.
"We believe it was an isolated incident committed by an individual who had no malicious intent," Taplin said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH