Police stopped man approaching Biden at Olympics opening
Vancouver: A man using false accreditation was able to get within several meters of US Vice President Joe Biden before being arrested at the Vancouver Olympics Opening Ceremony, police said.
Joe Taplin, a Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer serving with the Olympics security task force, said the man was stopped when he got about 12 rows from where Biden was sitting in a specially-protected VIP section in BC Place Stadium yesterday.
The unarmed man was escorted into a hallway, tried to flee, and then was apprehended again, said Taplin, who added Biden was not in danger at any time.
The man, whose name has not been released, was turned over the Vancouver Police Department.
"They are not recommending charges at this time but believe mental health issues were a contributing factor," Taplin said.
An investigation is under way to determine how the man got inside.
The news first was reported by CTV.
Taplin said US Secret Service agents with Biden were alerted about the incident and were satisfied with how it was handled.
"We believe it was an isolated incident committed by an individual who had no malicious intent," Taplin said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31