Police stopped man approaching Biden at Olympics opening
Vancouver: A man using false accreditation was able to get within several meters of US Vice President Joe Biden before being arrested at the Vancouver Olympics Opening Ceremony, police said.
Joe Taplin, a Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer serving with the Olympics security task force, said the man was stopped when he got about 12 rows from where Biden was sitting in a specially-protected VIP section in BC Place Stadium yesterday.
The unarmed man was escorted into a hallway, tried to flee, and then was apprehended again, said Taplin, who added Biden was not in danger at any time.
The man, whose name has not been released, was turned over the Vancouver Police Department.
"They are not recommending charges at this time but believe mental health issues were a contributing factor," Taplin said.
An investigation is under way to determine how the man got inside.
The news first was reported by CTV.
Taplin said US Secret Service agents with Biden were alerted about the incident and were satisfied with how it was handled.
"We believe it was an isolated incident committed by an individual who had no malicious intent," Taplin said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report