Police stopped man approaching Biden at Olympics opening
Vancouver: A man using false accreditation was able to get within several meters of US Vice President Joe Biden before being arrested at the Vancouver Olympics Opening Ceremony, police said.
Joe Taplin, a Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer serving with the Olympics security task force, said the man was stopped when he got about 12 rows from where Biden was sitting in a specially-protected VIP section in BC Place Stadium yesterday.
The unarmed man was escorted into a hallway, tried to flee, and then was apprehended again, said Taplin, who added Biden was not in danger at any time.
The man, whose name has not been released, was turned over the Vancouver Police Department.
"They are not recommending charges at this time but believe mental health issues were a contributing factor," Taplin said.
An investigation is under way to determine how the man got inside.
The news first was reported by CTV.
Taplin said US Secret Service agents with Biden were alerted about the incident and were satisfied with how it was handled.
"We believe it was an isolated incident committed by an individual who had no malicious intent," Taplin said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know