Police take on protesters as Turkish PM seeks calm
Ankara: Police firing water cannons and tear gas have dispersed protesters who erected street barricades near Turkey`s parliament overnight.
It was the latest face-off between authorities and demonstrators over the government`s response to a protest sit-in that began more than two weeks ago at a coveted Istanbul park.
The pre-dawn melee today in Ankara on a street also close to the US Embassy came hours after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan`s government asked a small delegation of protesters to persuade the hundreds of others occupying Gezi Park to leave.
Erdogan has promised to let the courts and a possible referendum decide the fate of a park redevelopment project that has sparked Turkey`s biggest protests in decades. His supporters were planning weekend counter demonstrations in Ankara and Istanbul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS