Police use tear gas to disperse 2,000 protesters in Turkey
Ankara: Turkish riot police fired tear gas and water cannon on Wednesday to disperse some 2,000 protesters in the capital Ankara, making 16 arrests.
Protesters had gathered overnight in the Dikmen district of the capital and attempted to erect barricades to block traffic on a main artery.
Local television pictures showed demonstrators chanting against the release of a police officer who stands accused of fatally wounding a 26-year-old protester during the country`s recent unrest.
Protests initially sparked by a brutal police action against a local conservation battle to save Istanbul`s Gezi Park snowballed into nationwide demonstrations against the Islamic-rooted government, leaving four dead and nearly 8,000 injured.
Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan`s government has been widely criticised for its handling of the crisis, with the United States and other Western allies condemning the use of excessive police force against protesters.
On Monday, Erdogan praised the police for their "heroism" in dealing with the protesters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof