Policeman escorting Obama`s motorcade dies after accident
Washington: A veteran police officer escorting US President Barack Obama`s motorcade has died after being struck by a vehicle in Florida.
Bruce St Laurent, a 20-year veteran from the Jupiter police department in Florida, including 18 years as a motor officer, died late yesterday following a serious highway accident, police and the White House spokesperson said on Monday.
Laurent was rushed to St Mary`s Medical Center in West Palm Beach, where he died, CNN reported quoting Jupiter police Chief Frank Kitzerow.
The officer was travelling along I-95 through West Palm Beach when a Ford 150 pickup hit his motorcycle, West Palm Beach Sheriff`s Office spokeswoman Therese Barbera said.
White House spokesman Jay Carney said the president`s thoughts and prayers are with the officer`s family.
The crash happened near the front of the president`s motorcade, and Obama himself did not see it unfold, Carney said, adding that no other vehicles from the motorcade was involved.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!