Policeman escorting Obama`s motorcade dies after accident
Washington: A veteran police officer escorting US President Barack Obama`s motorcade has died after being struck by a vehicle in Florida.
Bruce St Laurent, a 20-year veteran from the Jupiter police department in Florida, including 18 years as a motor officer, died late yesterday following a serious highway accident, police and the White House spokesperson said on Monday.
Laurent was rushed to St Mary`s Medical Center in West Palm Beach, where he died, CNN reported quoting Jupiter police Chief Frank Kitzerow.
The officer was travelling along I-95 through West Palm Beach when a Ford 150 pickup hit his motorcycle, West Palm Beach Sheriff`s Office spokeswoman Therese Barbera said.
White House spokesman Jay Carney said the president`s thoughts and prayers are with the officer`s family.
The crash happened near the front of the president`s motorcade, and Obama himself did not see it unfold, Carney said, adding that no other vehicles from the motorcade was involved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley