Policeman escorting Obama`s motorcade dies after accident
Washington: A veteran police officer escorting US President Barack Obama`s motorcade has died after being struck by a vehicle in Florida.
Bruce St Laurent, a 20-year veteran from the Jupiter police department in Florida, including 18 years as a motor officer, died late yesterday following a serious highway accident, police and the White House spokesperson said on Monday.
Laurent was rushed to St Mary`s Medical Center in West Palm Beach, where he died, CNN reported quoting Jupiter police Chief Frank Kitzerow.
The officer was travelling along I-95 through West Palm Beach when a Ford 150 pickup hit his motorcycle, West Palm Beach Sheriff`s Office spokeswoman Therese Barbera said.
White House spokesman Jay Carney said the president`s thoughts and prayers are with the officer`s family.
The crash happened near the front of the president`s motorcade, and Obama himself did not see it unfold, Carney said, adding that no other vehicles from the motorcade was involved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth