Polish police recover Auschwitz sign
Warsaw: Polish police have recovered the metal sign that hung over the entrance to the former Nazi death camp Auschwitz and detained five suspects over the theft that sparked worldwide condemnation, state television said on Monday.
The sign, which read "Arbeit macht frei" ("Work makes you free"), had been cut into three pieces after being stolen on Friday, said the television.
The five detained men, whose ages ranged from 20 to 39, were being transported to a police station in the southern city of Krakow, the television said.
Police were not immediately available for comment on the television report and the motives for the theft remained unclear.
Some 1.5 million people, mostly Jews, perished in the Nazi death camp located in southern Poland during World War Two. Prisoners arriving at the camp used to enter via a relatively small iron gate topped by the German-language motto.
More than 200 hectares (500 acres) of the former death camp became a museum after the war ended.
The wording of the sign became a symbol of the Nazis` efforts to deceive their victims into a false sense of security before murdering them.
Polish authorities made the recovery of the sign a priority and the museum, police and anonymous donors offered a reward of nearly USD 40,000 for information leading to its return.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani