Polish police recover Auschwitz sign
Warsaw: Polish police have recovered the metal sign that hung over the entrance to the former Nazi death camp Auschwitz and detained five suspects over the theft that sparked worldwide condemnation, state television said on Monday.
The sign, which read "Arbeit macht frei" ("Work makes you free"), had been cut into three pieces after being stolen on Friday, said the television.
The five detained men, whose ages ranged from 20 to 39, were being transported to a police station in the southern city of Krakow, the television said.
Police were not immediately available for comment on the television report and the motives for the theft remained unclear.
Some 1.5 million people, mostly Jews, perished in the Nazi death camp located in southern Poland during World War Two. Prisoners arriving at the camp used to enter via a relatively small iron gate topped by the German-language motto.
More than 200 hectares (500 acres) of the former death camp became a museum after the war ended.
The wording of the sign became a symbol of the Nazis` efforts to deceive their victims into a false sense of security before murdering them.
Polish authorities made the recovery of the sign a priority and the museum, police and anonymous donors offered a reward of nearly USD 40,000 for information leading to its return.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video