Polish teen sailors safe despite severe weather
London: A group of teenage sailors whose ship was drifting off the British coast after it lost both masts in gale-force winds is safe from harm, coast guards said on Friday, and the vessel was to be towed for repairs.
The Maritime and Coastguard Agency said that the Fryderyk Chopin, a tall ship used to train young Polish sailors, is about 100 miles (160 kilometres) southwest of Britain`s Isles of Scilly. The crew of 47 is mostly made up of 14-year-old cadets.
There have been no injuries reported and the Royal Navy has stood down their search and rescue helicopters, which are returning to base.
"It is a salvage mission now and although everyone is still on board, they are in no danger," said Helen Hudson, a coast guard official.
Poland`s Prime Minister Donald Tusk, in Brussels for a European Union summit, said earlier that he was anxiously following the news about the ship as the vessel has "many young people on board”.
"The captain has seen no need to evacuate, so I believe nothing tragic has happened there yet, there is no threat to these people," Tusk told journalists there.
The 182-foot (56-meter) -long Chopin, built in the Polish port city of Gdansk in 1992, is modelled on the fast-moving ships of the age of sail. It made its debut in 1992 in the Columbus Day Regatta across the Atlantic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video