Polish-US missile defence deal takes effect
Warsaw: Poland and the US say their deal that calls for deployment of land-based ballistic missiles by the year 2018 has begun.
The deal is part of a plan by President Barack Obama`s administration to place land and sea-based radars and interceptors in several European locations as a shield against possible missile attack from Iran. It has drawn strong opposition from Russia, which fears it might become a target.
A US embassy statement said the deal took effect on Thursday.
An undisclosed number of SM-3 interceptors are to be placed in Redzikowo, on the Baltic Sea coast, as a "significant contribution" from the two nations to NATO defence capability, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers