Polish-US missile defence deal takes effect
Warsaw: Poland and the US say their deal that calls for deployment of land-based ballistic missiles by the year 2018 has begun.
The deal is part of a plan by President Barack Obama`s administration to place land and sea-based radars and interceptors in several European locations as a shield against possible missile attack from Iran. It has drawn strong opposition from Russia, which fears it might become a target.
A US embassy statement said the deal took effect on Thursday.
An undisclosed number of SM-3 interceptors are to be placed in Redzikowo, on the Baltic Sea coast, as a "significant contribution" from the two nations to NATO defence capability, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Delhi HC puts on hold JNU action against Umar, Anirban
- IPL 2016, Qualifier 2: GL vs SRH – 5 facts you must know ahead of virtual semi-final
- China to send lunar probe 'Chang'e 5' on moon!
- CHSE Odisha +2 Result (CHSE result 2016) Exam Results 2016 likely to be declared on May 30. Check chseodisha.nic.in, orissaresults.nic.in
- Barack Obama arrives at Hiroshima atomic bomb park