Politician shot dead in Nigeria
Abuja: A Nigerian politician was shot dead on Saturday by gunmen suspected to be from the Islamist sect Boko Haram, the military said.
Alhaji Ahmadu, chairman of the People`s Redemption Party in Nafada area of northeastern Gombe state, was killed in Maiduguri, capital of Borno state, spokesperson of the Joint Task Force Lt. Col. Sagir Musa told Xinhua.
He said the military has uncovered plans by the sect to attack public buildings during the commemoration of Nigeria`s Democracy Day May 29.
Founded in Maiduguri around 2002, Boko Haram aims to overthrow the government and establish an Islamic state in the west African country.
The group is known by several different names, including al-Sunnah wal Jamma -- or Followers of the Prophet`s Teachings. The official name of the group is Jama`atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda`awati wal-Jihad, which in Arabic means "people committed to the propagation of the prophet`s teachings and jihad".
But since its early years, residents have dubbed it Boko Haram, which in the local Hausa language means "Western education is forbidden".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch